Is Anointing & Miracle Healing Proof Enough that a Man is Speaking God's Truth?
By Craig Bluemel
Subject: Is a man’s anointing & miracle healing proof he speaks the truth?
Dear Bro Craig,
I recently watched a preacher on TBN who was preaching a lot of scripturally wrong ideas and concepts. However, at the end he started to perform all kinds of healing miracles in the name of Jesus using what he called the anointing in his hands. He also claimed that he was seeing a might river as of oil flowing in the pulpit area. Is this anointing genuine? The trouble is, as long as someone performs miracles, people take it as a validation that whatever was spoken is true. If you then try to explain the scriptures to them more correctly, they usually do not listen to you (especially here in Africa). If you do not exhibit the so-called anointing. What should I do in these circumstances?
CRAIG’S REPLY & ANSWER
July 20, 2006
Dear bro Ezekiel,
Thanks for this very important question and for your patience as I was dealing with some serious medical issues and was buried in a flood of email inquiries, so I had to put this on the back burner for a period of time until I could give it my full passion. You asked about the man on TBN who was preaching a lot of scripturally wrong ideas and concepts. You described what was happening during the end of the television broadcast, saying the preacher started to perform all kinds of “healing miracles in the name of Jesus” using what he called “the anointing in his hands.” Your depiction of this preacher fits the stereotypical, charismaniac televangelist.
Nowadays, the flagrant use of the words ‘the anointing’ by Pentecostal (also known as Charismatic) ministers, preachers, pastors, and televangelists is more-often-than-not just a bogus claim to personal ownership of some unique gifting and power from God to heal. Not only is physical healing treated as an ‘entitlement’ by these wolves in Armani sheepskins, but what they preach is contrary to the written word of God in the Scriptures. Quite frankly, healing is not always God’s will and rarely does God intervene with a “miracle” cure for the maladies, diseases, and broken bones of His children.
The aforementioned liars are experts at deceit and they twist the meaning of Scripture to fit their little agenda as they travel the world, often with first-class accommodations and five-star hotel rooms. Their agenda is centered on the big moneymaking schemes they plan in detail and mislabel as their ‘healing conferences.’
The worst part isn’t just that fact they steal money from the poor, who come to their meetings desperate for a healing touch from the hand of God, but that they proliferate their false teachings by making themselves ‘available’ to big, ‘name-it-and-claim-it’ churches that teach this evil doctrinal poison. When those who suffer affliction (particularly Christians who suffer) from any on-going painful or chronic condition, and who have time after time after time have unsuccessfully “claimed” their “healing” from God, they become disillusioned, depressed, cynical, angry, hurt, disappointed with God, unsure of their faith, critical of the Bible as the inspired word of God, and skeptical of just about any and all things related to church, God, and Jesus. How very tragic.
I have personally, on numerous occasions, witnessed these suffering and deceived souls for whom Jesus bled and died, claim it and name it until they literally die. I have watched concerned loved ones believing God for a healing miracle until months later, their cancer filled loved one passes into eternity. What do you suppose happens to a good majority of the survivors? How do they deal with the disappointment that their prayers were not answered? Healing was promised—or so they were led to believe. I’ll tell you from experience what happens to them…THEY BLAME GOD! Not all of them, to be sure, but a good percentage turn their back on Jesus, on God, on the Bible, and some of them become hardened and hostile to the point of actually working against the cause of the gospel.
So, who cleans up the human messes in the wake of the devastation created by the avaricious, greedy, arrogant blowhards that promote this corrupted teaching? Do pastors take time, or do they even have time to individually disciple, counsel, allow to vent, and spend the months and even years to bring a salve of healing to the deep and spiritually infected wounds inflicted upon the very hearts and minds of these embittered souls? Will they as ministers of the gospel of peace be available day and night, in times of critical desperation, especially for those who experience such disappointment and disillusionment with God? NO!
It’s demographically impossible for most pastors to have the required time and energy to individually tend to every need of their individual church members, let alone the ones who are so badly scarred they need extra attention and sympathy. That is why I am writing and answering your question in this manner brother Ezekiel; it is in the hopes that some of the Christian readers who allow their hearts to be affected, will take it upon themselves to go out into the highways and byways, so to speak, and as they travel thru life, to seek out the walking wounded of the church. Pray daily for opportunities. Ask God to lead you to the ones He knows are hurting and disillusioned. They are out there, in grocery stores, on the job, at school, at play. He or she that has an ear to hear what the spirit is saying, listen. The Father who loves them all, more than we can ever imagine. He will guide you to them. Be available.
Are there really that many people that have experienced what I have described? You bet there are, and I have documentation in writing by the hundreds from readers that have written to me on this very topic. The reason for my direct assault upon this teaching and those who promulgate it throughout the churches is because it leaves the individual believer with false hopes and unmet expectations from God.
These diabolical ‘blab-it-and-grab-it’ messengers of Satan masquerade as envoys of light, but the light that is within them is filled with darkness, and how great a darkness it truly is! They quote Scripture verses like “faith comes by hearing” and distort the reality of what the truth about faith really involves. Faith is not “claiming” thru “confessing” what you want from God until you receive it. That’s demanding God to do what YOU think is best, and what will lesson YOUR pain and suffering. True faith is TRUSTING GOD.
Does God like it when we suffer and agonize in pain? Of course not, but the simple reality is this: Suffering and hardship are the very tools that God uses in this fallen world of sin, to form and shape the character of His son, the man Christ Jesus, INSIDE of us!
· 1 Peter 4:1-2, 12-13 SINCE CHRIST SUFFERED PHYSICAL PAIN you must arm yourselves with THE SAME INNER CONVICTION that he had. To be free from sin MEANS BODILY SUFFERING, and THE MAN WHO ACCEPTS THIS will spend the rest of his time here on earth, not in being led by human desires, but IN DOING THE WILL OF GOD…12-13 And now, dear friends of mine. I beg you NOT TO BE UNDULY ALARMED AT THE FIERY ORDEALS which come TO TEST YOUR FAITH, AS THOUGH THIS WERE SOME ABNORMAL EXPERIENCE. You should be glad, because it means that you are sharing in Christ’s sufferings. One day, when he shows himself in full splendor, you will be filled with the most tremendous joy. Phillip’s New Testament
What do the 'blessings-and-financial-prosperity-doctrine' ministers do with such passages as the above? Hmmm. Kinda makes you wonder doesn’t it. For those readers who are unfamiliar with the original languages of the Scriptures, the New Testament was written first in Greek. The Greek word for “CHRIST” in 1 Peter 4:1 is spelled Cristov and was transliterated into English as Christós (pronounced as khris-tos). Guess what it means? You guessed it, it means, “anointed.” God’s TRUE anointing is given to those who arm themselves for the purpose of suffering in the physical body here on this earth, to form the character of Jesus the “Anointed man” who gave us his life as the prototype.
When their magic formulas don’t work on stage, the phony 'blessings-and-financial-prosperity-doctrine' preachers make lame excuses, such as, “Well brother or sister, you just need to keep claiming your healing until it manifests itself.” Loosely translated, what they are saying underneath their façade of evil and greed is this, “Where are my bouncers, (also known as “catchers”) so they can get this guy or gal outta here before people get wise to me, and run me outta here before I take the final offering.” Final offering? Do you mean to say these wolves actually take more than one offering during the service? Not only one collection, but as many as five or six, if their greedy souls can manage to dupe the audience into such stupidity. P.T. Barnum summed it up nicely, now didn’t he?
I once attended one of these riffraff meetings and the minister sent the ushers around three times, each time they were passing giant cardboard buckets that looked like the kind of container you get when you order a family-size meal at Kentucky Fried Chicken! C’mon, isn’t anybody going to speak out against this travesty and deception?!
Sadly, the charismaniac church members nowadays actually wants this garbage. So, they will, as did Israel in the wilderness, become discontented with God-supplied manna from heaven and they’re gonna demanded their “miracle” flesh. God gave Israel quail to eat and stuff their appetite for the flesh until they puked it all up. So too, this nonsense will likely continue until charismatics start barfing it up! They’ll continue to laud and applaud those ministers of greed who are puffed up, arrogant little men and women in positions of spiritual influence within the Christian churches worldwide.
This so-called ‘anointing’ is also a common error that is being passed off a genuine inspiration from God to heal or perform miracles. In the first place, the term ‘anointing’ in the English Bible versions is extremely limited and has nothing to do with miracles whatsoever. As I said earlier, the televangelist you saw on TV is stereotypical of the bogus claims made by many ministers in the Pentecostal/Charismatic churches.
With reference to “the anointing in his hands” you spoke about, and its alleged connection to “healing miracles” or any other so-called miracle power of God, there is only a total of two (2) verses of scripture in the entire New Testament that mention it: Mark 6:13 & James 5:14.
The only other two verses mentioning the ‘anointing’ (per se) can be found in one narrative in 1 John 2:20, 27. John’s epistles (in both verses) are not even remotely close to being applicable for miracles or healing power from God.
You asked how to respond whenever people make statements concerning the validity of a man’s ministry who behaves as the televangelist was doing; you might ask them this simple question: “Do you value what the scripture teaches as the inspired word of God?” If they reply “Yes” then ask them where in the scriptures does it mention ‘the anointing.’ Of course, they will not be able to find the verses, and even if they do, they’re probably still unwilling to listen to you by virtue of their own affection for the ministry of the person claiming to possess the alleged ‘anointing.’
Next, you might want to ask them about this next passage of scripture, which is taken from the direct teaching of Jesus as the Christ (Literally, Christ means, ‘the anointed’):
· Matthew 7:21-23 “NOT EVERYONE WHO SAYS TO ME, ‘LORD, LORD,’ WILL ENTER THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 MANY WILL SAY TO ME ON THAT DAY, LORD, LORD, DID WE NOT PROPHESY IN YOUR NAME, AND IN YOUR NAME DRIVE OUT DEMONS AND PERFORM MANY MIRACLES?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I NEVER KNEW YOU. AWAY FROM ME, YOU EVILDOERS!’ New International Version
· Luke 6:45-48 “The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart. 46 AND WHY DO YOU CALL ME, ‘LORD, LORD,’ AND DO NOT DO WHAT I SAY? 47 Everyone who comes to me, and hears my words, and acts upon them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation upon the rock…” New American Standard Bible
The two passages above need no explanation in light of the topic at hand. Obviously doing miracles, healing the sick, and casting demons out of people is not the criterion for making the kingdom of heaven your own. Jesus makes a big point out of this, knowing that after he was gone, many men would try to capitalize on His name and use it to further their own greed and avarice. This began shortly after his ascension and has continued throughout the centuries until this present day.
Furthermore, in the apostle John’s gospel, Jesus rebukes the multitudes that followed him after he did the miracle of the loaves and fishes. Jesus does not rebuke them because they wanted to see him perform another miraculous healing sign, but instead, he rebukes them for coming just to get free food! Of course, you have to interpret this in light of the context and the extreme poverty of the times.
Just the same, it punctuates a point: That is, even if you have the God-appointed authority to performs miraculous signs, most of the people who would be seeking after you would not be doing so out of pure motives. They just want flesh brother, and the vast preponderance of the masses that followed after Jesus cared little or nothing about the truth. It’s sad, but this is what is going on in charismania today. People come just to see ‘the anointed man of God’ and NOT because they just want GOD!
Next, let me show you from Scripture the only place that Jesus commissions his disciples with authority over demonic power. Take time to slowly, methodically read the narrative, and note that in Jesus’ own hometown of Nazareth (where he grew up, not where he was born) the people rejected him. Their rejection of him was because he was a local boy, not because his miracles had not been acknowledged as genuine.
In fact, by this time in Jesus’ 3-½ year ministry, it was reported and known by nearly all the masses throughout the provinces of Judea and Galilee that he was a great prophet of God. He was held in very high esteem because of his wisdom and because he was doing many powerful signs and wonders.
· Mark 6:1-3 Then He went out from there and came to His own country, and His disciples followed Him. 2 And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, “WHERE DID THIS MAN GET THESE THINGS? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands! 3 IS THIS NOT THE CARPENTER, THE SON OF MARY, AND BROTHER OF JAMES, JOSES, JUDAS, AND SIMON? And are not His sisters here with us?” SO THEY WERE OFFENDED AT HIM.
· Mark 6:4-6 But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house.” 5 NOW HE COULD DO NO MIGHTY WORK THERE, EXCEPT THAT HE LAID HIS HANDS ON A FEW SICK PEOPLE AND HEALED THEM. 6 And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in a circuit, teaching. New King James Version
Because the people in Nazareth and the surrounding areas did not accept his role as Messiah (or Christ; both words mean ‘the anointed’), Jesus commissions his disciples to go out instead. Unlike is commonly taught in Pentecostal circles today, this ‘authority’ was never intended for use carte blanche by every member of the body of Christ for all ages. We cannot assume that the same authority over unclean spirits is automatically ours by right of entitlement simply because we too are his disciples today.
The specific nature of the authority given by Jesus to his disciples was a power over unclean spirits to deliver people from bondage and to heal afflictions that were caused by demonic sources. The REASON it was given to them was because of the UNBELIEF of the hometown people of Nazareth, who rejected the notion that Jesus could lay claim to the role of Israel’s Messiah. Therefore, to insure that the word of his gospel message got out to others in the community of Nazareth, who were subject to the influence and prejudices of the locals, Jesus sent word via the disciples, giving them temporary authority over unclean spirits.
Take note of Mark 6:13, which is the only other New Testament verse in connection to miracles and the ‘anointing.’ In this case, as in James 5:14, the ‘anointing’ was merely a reference to a Jewish customary ritual of smearing consecrated oil, which had previously been set apart by the local Levites (i.e. priests of the Law of Moses) for ceremonial use.
MARK 6: SENDING OUT THE TWELVE
(ALSO SEE MATTHEW 10:1,5-15; LUKE 9:1-6)
· 6:7-11And He called the twelve to Himself, and began to send them out two by two, and gave them power over unclean spirits. 8 He commanded them to take nothing for the journey except a staff — no bag, no bread, no copper in their money belts 9 but to wear sandals, and not to put on two tunics. 10 Also He said to them, “In whatever place you enter a house, stay there till you depart from that place. 11 And whoever will not receive you nor hear you, when you depart from there, shake off the dust under your feet as a testimony against them. Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!”
· 6:12-13 So they went out and preached that people should repent. 13 And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick, and healed them. New King James Version
Two things stand out in direct opposition to the claims of 21st century ‘name-it-and-claim-it’ televangelists and others who purport to have some miraculous ‘anointing’ to heal from God:
1. Jesus commanded his disciples, the same disciples he gave authority over unclean spirits, NOT TO TAKE ANY MONEY, or even extra clothing along. He did not want them to profit at all, or even ask for money, save for the temporary hospitality of lodging and food to those who were receptive to their gospel message.
2. THE DISCIPLES WERE ONLY GIVEN THIS AUTHORITY ONCE; NOT FOR ALL TIME, AS IS THE CLAIM OF MODERN
TELEVANGELISTS and those involved with the ‘blab-it-and-grab-it’ teaching and practice.
The only other mention of ‘anointing’ (which also involves the use of ritual oil) is found in the context of James chapter five below:
JAMES 5:10-12 – O.T. PROPHETS & THE MAN JOB OUR EXAMPLES
· 5:10-12 As an example, brethren, of suffering and patience, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 11 Behold, we count those blessed who endured. You have heard of the endurance of Job and have seen the outcome of the Lord's dealings, that the Lord is full of compassion and is merciful. 12 But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but let your yes be yes, and your no, no; so that you may not fall under judgment.
JAMES 5:13-20 – SICK CALL ELDERS TO ANOINT THEM WITH OIL (not miracles)!
· 5:13-20 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praises. 14 IS ANYONE AMONG YOU SICK? Let him call for THE ELDERS of the church, and let them PRAY OVER HIM, ANOINTING HIM WITH OIL in the name of the Lord; 15 and THE PRAYER OFFERED IN FAITH WILL RESTORE THE ONE WHO IS SICK, AND THE LORD WILL RAISE HIM UP and IF HE HAS COMMITTED SINS, THEY WILL BE FORGIVEN HIM. 16 THEREFORE, CONFESS YOUR SINS TO ONE ANOTHER, AND PRAY FOR ONE ANOTHER, so that YOU MAY BE HEALED. The EFFECTIVE PRAYER of a righteous man CAN accomplish much. 17 ELIJAH WAS A MAN WITH A NATURE LIKE OURS, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain; and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the sky poured rain, and the earth produced its fruit. 19 MY BRETHREN, IF ANY AMONG YOU STRAYS FROM THE TRUTH, AND ONE TURNS HIM BACK, 20 let him know that HE WHO TURNS A SINNER FROM THE ERROR OF HIS WAY WILL SAVE HIS SOUL FROM DEATH, AND WILL COVER A MULTITUDE OF SINS. New American Standard Bible
Note: in James 5:16a, the text does not say he "will be" healed, nor does the text say "shall be" healed. Instead, the only assurance is that he "may be" healed; this shows it is only a possibility that the sick individual believer may be healed. However, in this context, the only certainty given as a promise by God is that the same sick person will be forgiven, if he or she humbles himself or herself and confesses his or her side-stepping off track (i.e. - for those familiar with Greek, the usual word for sin 'hamartia' is not used in this verse for 'sin'). The Greek word paraptoma in verse 16a is poorly translated; paraptoma means literally "a side-slip (lapse or deviation), i.e. (unintentional) error or (willful) transgression."
James makes clear that the ‘oil’ smeared onto the person WHO IS SICK IN “SOUL” (verse 19) BECAUSE OF UNCONFESSED SINS, which have been eating away at his or her soul (see verses 19-20 in context). Certainly James 5:14 is not speaking about some type of mysterious Pentecostal “anointing” as is claimed by those phony televangelists who preach the gospel for financial gain. In fact, there is really no passage in the New Testament that speaks of any type of “miracle anointing.”
There is a connection however between those who “stray” away from God’s “truth” and those whose ‘anointing’ as Christian brethren is used for one purpose… to love their fallen brother by turning a “sinner” from the “error” of his way thru ‘praying’ and thru “covering a multitude of sins” with God’s forgiving and merciful love. This is the TRUE anointing, not what you see on television.
The final two verses of New Testament scripture that actually use the word ‘anointing’ are found below in 1 John 5:20,27. I have included the entire context for purposes of clarification, helping the reader identify the intended meaning, use, and application.
· 2:15-Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God abides forever. 18 Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now MANY ANTICHRISTS HAVE ARISEN; from this we know that it is the last hour. 19 THEY WENT OUT FROM US, BUT THEY WERE NOT REALLY OF US; FOR IF THEY HAD BEEN OF US, they would have REMAINED WITH US but they went out, IN ORDER that it might be SHOWN that they all are NOT OF US.
· 20-25 BUT YOU HAVE AN ANOINTING FROM THE HOLY ONE, AND YOU ALL KNOW. 21 I have not written to you because you do not KNOW THE TRUTH, but because you do know it, and because NO LIE IS OF THE TRUTH. 22 WHO IS THE LIAR but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? THIS IS THE ANTICHRIST, the one WHO DENIES THE FATHER AND THE SON. 23 Whoever DENIES THE SON DOES NOT HAVE THE FATHER; the one who CONFESSES THE SON has the FATHER ALSO. 24 AS FOR YOU, LET THAT ABIDE IN YOU which you heard FROM THE BEGINNING. If what you heard from the beginning ABIDES IN YOU, you also will ABIDE IN THE SON AND IN THE FATHER. 25 And THIS IS THE PROMISE which He Himself made to us: ETERNAL LIFE.
· 26-29 THESE THINGS I have WRITTEN TO YOU CONCERNING those who are TRYING TO DECEIVE YOU. 27 And AS FOR YOU, THE ANOINTING which you received FROM HIM ABIDES IN YOU, AND YOU HAVE NO NEED FOR ANYONE TO TEACH YOU; but as HIS ANOINTING TEACHES YOU about all things, AND IS TRUE and IS NOT A LIE, and JUST AS it has TAUGHT you, you ABIDE in Him. 28 And now, little children, ABIDE IN HIM, SO THAT WHEN HE APPEARS, WE MAY HAVE CONFIDENCE and not shrink away from Him IN SHAME at His coming. 29 If you know that HE IS RIGHTEOUS, you know that EVERYONE also who PRACTICES RIGHTEOUSNESS IS BORN OF HIM.
1 JOHN 3:1-6 NO ONE PRACTICING SIN HAS THE TRUE ANOINTING
· 3:1-9 See how great a love the Father has bestowed upon us, that we should be called children of God; and such we are. FOR THIS REASON THE WORLD does not know us, because it DID NOT KNOW HIM. 2 Beloved, NOW WE ARE children OF GOD, and it has NOT APPEARED AS YET what we shall be. We know that, WHEN He appears, we shall be LIKE HIM because we shall SEE HIM just as HE IS. 3 And EVERYONE who has THIS HOPE fixed on Him PURIFIES himself, just as HE IS PURE. 4 Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness. 5 And YOU KNOW that He appeared IN ORDER TO TAKE AWAY SINS; and in Him there is no sin. 6 NO ONE who abides in Him sins; NO ONE who sins has seen Him or knows Him.
1 JOHN 3:7-10 THE TRUE ANOINTING MADE OBVIOUS BY THOSE WHO LOVE
· 3:7-10 Little children, LET NO ONE DECEIVE YOU; THE ONE WHO PRACTICES RIGHTEOUSNESS IS RIGHTEOUS, JUST AS HE IS RIGHTEOUS; 8 THE ONE WHO PRACTICES SIN IS OF THE DEVIL; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for THIS PURPOSE, that He might DESTROY THE WORKS OF THE DEVIL. 9 NO ONE WHO IS BORN OF GOD PRACTICES SIN (HABITUALLY), BECAUSE HIS SEED ABIDES IN HIM and HE CANNOT (HABITUALLY) SIN, because he is BORN OF GOD. 10 BY THIS the children of God and the children of the devil ARE OBVIOUS: anyone who does not practice righteousness IS NOT OF GOD, NOR THE ONE WHO DOES NOT LOVE HIS BROTHER. New American Standard Bible
In summary, the purpose of God’s spiritual anointing, as plainly taught above, is for the individual believer to practice righteousness. Those who possess this true anointing can be distinguished from those who are pseudo-anointed by the proportion of genuine, godly love they express for their brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ.
The phony ministers that parade around the world giving “healing conference’ sermons and ‘faith seminars’ are bent on evil. They live in unjustifiable luxury, using the cash donations sent to them by sincere but very naïve Christians to purchase multi-million dollar homes, expensive, customized automobiles, yachts cars, pricey designer clothing, etc. They set up bogus so-called ‘CHRISTIAN NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS’ and cast disgrace on the Blessed Name of Jesus; this is pure greed at its worse, and all their income is derived directly and indirectly thru their merchandising of the gospel.
God’s true anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in him. Believers are to abide in him, so that when he appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from him in shame at his coming. Don’t be followers of the church in Laodicea, who will have to cover the “shame” of their nakedness on the Day of Judgment.
1 Peter 3:15 Always be ready to give reasonable justification to anyone who asks you for an explanation of the hope that is within you, but do it considerately and courteously.